Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Salome on Ubuntu 20.04

Salome on Ubuntu 20.04

Up to Install & build

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.

Salome on Ubuntu 20.04

Posted by thiagopl at August 11. 2020

Hi everybody,

I decided to initiate this thread because I havne't seem any about how or when it would be possible to install Salome on Ubuntu 20.04.

By now if you download the Universal Linux Binary, unpack and try to run it, it gives lots of error message. If someone had a different result or maybe could give some comment about the installing of Salome 9.5 on Ubuntu 20.04 I would appreciate.

Regards.

Re: Salome on Ubuntu 20.04

Posted by ghodbane at August 11. 2020

Hi Thiago, can you share the error messages you report about with the universal linux binary ?

Thanks

Posted by ghodbane at August 12. 2020

In case the experienced issues are about graphics libraries, you can use the embedded libraries which are shipped with the universal binary archives.

To link against these libraries, you need to uncomment this line in salome script file:
    context.addToLdLibraryPath(out_dir_Path + r"/BINARIES-CO7/system_dep/gl")

HTH

Posted by thiagopl at August 12. 2020

Hi Nabil,

Sorry not posting the error message. I did what you suggested and now Salome 9.5 (Universal Linux Binary) its running nicely on my Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. Thank you.
I post bellow the errors messages I found and the solutions in the case of others find the same problems.

First error trying to run:

runSalome running on thiago-Inspiron-5557
Error when trying to access active network connections.
Traceback (most recent call last): ...

SOLUTION: install net-tools - don't know why, just found in Google...

Second error trying to run:

runSalome running on thiago-Inspiron-5557
Searching for a free port for naming service: 2811 - OK
Searching Naming Service  + found in 0.1 seconds 

SALOME_Session_Server: error while loading shared libraries: libOpenGL.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/thiago/SALOME-9.5.0/BINARIES-CO7/KERNEL/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 181, in waitNSPIDos.kill(thePID,0)
ProcessLookupError: [Errno 3] No such process
During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
  File "/home/thiago/SALOME-9.5.0/BINARIES-CO7/KERNEL/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 680, in useSalome
clt = startSalome(args, modules_list, modules_root_dir)  File "/home/thiago/SALOME-9.5.0/BINARIES-CO7/KERNEL/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 625, in startSalome  session=clt.waitNSPID("/Kernel/Session",mySessionServ.PID,SALOME.Session)
  File "/home/thiago/SALOME-9.5.0/BINARIES-CO7/KERNEL/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 183, in waitNSPID raise RuntimeError("Process %d for %s not found" % (thePID,theName))
RuntimeError: Process 9354 for /Kernel/Session not found
Searching /Kernel/Session in Naming Service  
--- Error during Salome launch ---

SOLUTION: uncomment the line context.addToLdLibraryPath(out_dir_Path + r"/BINARIES-CO7/system_dep/gl") in file ./SALOME-9.5.0/salome - don't know why, ask Nabil :)

Posted by ghodbane at September 02. 2020
To complete this thread, users can experience GUI  issues with SALOME universal distribution with Gnome Display Manager 3 (gdm3) desktop manager on Ubuntu 20.
In case, the issue occurs, consider switching to lightdm display manager which solves the GUI issue. See this link to see how to switch from gdm3 to lightdm display manager: https://linuxconfig.org/ubuntu-20-04-unity-desktop

Thanks to Pablo for reporting about the issue and for his solution.

Posted by darkomatovic at December 03. 2020

I successfully run Salome from universal binaries after enabling system_dep/gl, but cannot open user guides. When I click on Help, then on any of the User's guide modules, nothing happens.

Posted by ghodbane at December 03. 2020
I confirm that with the universal distribution, the documentation cannot be launched. Thanks for reporting about the issue.

./salome doc GUI
This tool has been deprecated, use 'gio open' instead.
See 'gio help open' for more info.

Posted by ghodbane at December 03. 2020

can you try the following:

- File -> Preferences -> General - External browser use another browser than firefox  like e.g Konqueror

It works in my case with this browser. The issue seems to be linked with .so mismatch in case of firefox which is the default browser.

Posted by reedy19956 at April 01. 2021

Hi Thiago Parente Lima ,

Good Evening, I have got the same error while launching salome on Ubuntu 20.04. Can you please help me out about the error i am facing. 

I am posting down the error i have got:

areddy1@DESKTOP-TAVMR05:~$ cd SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC/
areddy1@DESKTOP-TAVMR05:~/SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC$ ls
ARCHIVES          PROJECT  SALOME_9_6_0_Release_Notes.pdf  binsalome      install_bin.sh  salome       sat
BINARIES-UB20.04  README   SOURCES                         env_launch.sh  mesa_salome     salomeTools
areddy1@DESKTOP-TAVMR05:~/SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC$ ./salome
runSalome running on DESKTOP-TAVMR05
Searching for a free port for naming service: 2831 - OK
Searching Naming Service  +++ found in 0.30000000000000004 seconds
SALOME_ConnectionManagerServer: /home/areddy1/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v2012/ThirdParty/platforms/linux64/gcc-6.3.0/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found (required by /home/areddy1/SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB20.04/KERNEL/lib/salome/libSalomeNS.so)
Searching /Kernel/Session in Naming Service  ++SALOME_LauncherServer: /home/areddy1/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v2012/ThirdParty/platforms/linux64/gcc-6.3.0/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found (required by /home/areddy1/SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB20.04/KERNEL/lib/salome/libSalomeLauncher.so)
SALOME_LauncherServer: /home/areddy1/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v2012/ThirdParty/platforms/linux64/gcc-6.3.0/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found (required by /home/areddy1/SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB20.04/KERNEL/lib/salome/libSalomeSDS.so)
SALOME_LauncherServer: /home/areddy1/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v2012/ThirdParty/platforms/linux64/gcc-6.3.0/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found (required by /home/areddy1/SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB20.04/KERNEL/lib/salome/libSalomeContainer.so)
SALOME_LauncherServer: /home/areddy1/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v2012/ThirdParty/platforms/linux64/gcc-6.3.0/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found (required by /home/areddy1/SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB20.04/KERNEL/lib/salome/libSalomeResourcesManager.so)
SALOME_LauncherServer: /home/areddy1/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v2012/ThirdParty/platforms/linux64/gcc-6.3.0/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found (required by /home/areddy1/SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB20.04/LIBBATCH/lib/libbatch.so)
SALOME_LauncherServer: /home/areddy1/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v2012/ThirdParty/platforms/linux64/gcc-6.3.0/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found (required by /home/areddy1/SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB20.04/KERNEL/lib/salome/libSalomeNS.so)
++++++SALOME_Session_Server: error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
  File "/home/areddy1/SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB20.04/KERNEL/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 181, in waitNSPID
    os.kill(thePID,0)
ProcessLookupError: [Errno 3] No such process

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/home/areddy1/SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB20.04/KERNEL/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 694, in useSalome
    clt = startSalome(args, modules_list, modules_root_dir)
  File "/home/areddy1/SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB20.04/KERNEL/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 639, in startSalome
    session=clt.waitNSPID("/Kernel/Session",mySessionServ.PID,SALOME.Session)
  File "/home/areddy1/SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB20.04/KERNEL/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 183, in waitNSPID
    raise RuntimeError("Process %d for %s not found" % (thePID,theName))
RuntimeError: Process 467 for /Kernel/Session not found

--- Error during Salome launch ---
areddy1@DESKTOP-TAVMR05:~/SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC$

Please help me out.

Regards
Abhilash 

Posted by ghodbane at April 01. 2021

Hi Abhilash (you sent me a private message, but I reply here to share the information)

looking at the trace, it seems that your problem is more about a conflict in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

/home/areddy1/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-v2012/ThirdParty/platforms/linux64/gcc-6.3.0/lib64

you need to start SALOME in a fresh shell environment which does not conflict

In addition, you seem to be missing some graphics library:

libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

you can use apt-file find libGLU.so.1

and install the package (maybe libglu1-mesa)

In case you're still experiencing issues, you can use the universal Linux binary.

HTH

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.