Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Re: Medial axis projection gone wrong

Re: Medial axis projection gone wrong

Up to Use

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.

Posted by projectionist at February 04. 2022

I have encountered a strange problem. I want to mesh two identical faces. Each face has been partitioned into a central circle and two annular faces. This should represent the inner area of a pipe, the pipe's wall and the adjacent fluid.

I have specified the circular edges as a group, for which I have created a sub-mesh, which is discretized using a fixed number of segments. However, when I mesh the inner annular face using the medial axis projection algorithm, I get different results, see the attached images.

Unfortunately, this is part of a larger project, which I am not free to share, hence I can not post the salome-file here.

However, I have created a side-by-side view of both meshes. First only the resulting mesh after meshing all the edges with numbered nodes, and then the resulting mesh after meshing the inner annular face with the numbered nodes.

From the images, one can see that the result after meshing only the edges is the same. At least the node numbers are identical.

However, meshing the inner annular face goes wrong.

I can try to create a minimum working example for this behaviour, and will post it here if I can reproduce thos behaviour.

Attachments

... posting both images exceeds the 100 kB limit.

Hence, here's the second image.

Attachments

I have worked-around the issue by copy-translating the good mesh into the position of the other one.

However, it is quite interesting that the same settings on the same geometry result in a different mesh.

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.