Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Salome 9.7.0 under kubuntu 20.04: Cannot activate GEOM and SMESH, missing libs

Salome 9.7.0 under kubuntu 20.04: Cannot activate GEOM and SMESH, missing libs

Up to Install & build

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.

Salome 9.7.0 under kubuntu 20.04: Cannot activate GEOM and SMESH, missing libs

Posted by mgrabietz at October 18. 2021

I have a  virtual machine (VMware Workstation 15) under kubuntu 20.04 installed.

I installed Salome 9.6.0 from the archive 'SALOME-9.6.0-UB20.04-SRC.tar.gz' successfully. I can start Salome, and I also can activate the modules Shaper, Geometry, Mesh and Paraview without any issue.

Next I tried to install version 9.7.0 on the same virtual machine. The installation archive for Ubuntu 20.04 is marked with 'native based'. It is about half the size of a 'normal' archive.

I unpacked the archive and tried to start Salome. It failed due to some missing packages. I checked the packages with 'sat' utility using the following command.

./sat config SALOME-9.7.0-native --check_system

All missing packages were reported. I installed every package with 'sudo apt install ...' without any issue. After the installation 'sat' does not report any missing package.

I can start salome 9.7.0.with calling './salome' from the installation directory.

I can activate Shaper and Paraview, but I cannot activate the geometry and the mesh module. I am getting a message window reporting missing libs. See attached error message.

The missing files 'libGEOM.so'  and 'libSMESH.so ' are available in the installation directory for 9.7.0.

Path: /opt/salome/SALOME-9.7.0-native-UB20.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB20.04/GEOM/lib/salome/

Any idea or hint?

Best regards

Michael

Attachments

Re: Salome 9.7.0 under kubuntu 20.04: Cannot activate GEOM and SMESH, missing libs

Posted by ghodbane at October 18. 2021

From the screen capture, it seems that you're missing some GL libraries.

Either install the missing one (libopengl.so.0) (you can find the required package with : apt-file find name of library)

or try using the mesa based launcher (mesa_salome)

As a backup solution, use the universal distribution which embeds its dependencies.

Re: Salome 9.7.0 under kubuntu 20.04: Cannot activate GEOM and SMESH, missing libs

Posted by mgrabietz at October 18. 2021

1. I am getting the same error message when I use ./mesa_salome

2. The I tried to find a solution using apt-file. I called the program with the following arguments:

apt-file find name libopengl.so.0

I am receiving a huge list with over 50000 lines, attached is a short snippet. I don't see any useful information in this list.

Attachments

Posted by ghodbane at October 18. 2021

Sorry my previous message was surely misleading

By:

apt-file find name of library

I mean:

apt-file find libopengl.so.0

Posted by cmwouters at November 28. 2021

if you have the libOpenGL.so.0 file somewhere (it is eg included in the CO7 download), you can copy this file under your SALOME directory. I copied the file into:
$ROOT/SALOME-9.7.0-native-UB20.04-SCR/BINARIES-UB20.04/GEOM/lib/salome/libOpenGL.so.0.
The modules GEOMETRY and MESH are available.

If you would like the file (193.5 kB) iso a whole download, I can put it somewhere.

Met vriendelijke groet
Kees

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.