Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Use newer Netgen in Salome

Use newer Netgen in Salome

Up to Install & build

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.

Use newer Netgen in Salome

Posted by Raptorista at March 08. 2021
Hello, I noticed that Salome bundles a somewhat old version of Netgen [5.3.1]. I would like to use the most recent version instead, 6.2-dev. Is there any easy way to do this? I tried compiling from source, modifying `SALOME-9.6.0.pyconf` setting the `netgen` version to `native`, but then when I run Salome it complains that it cannot find some netgen libraries [netgen is compiled and installed to a custom directory]. I found that I can modify the Salome launch script to add to `LD_LIBRARY_PATH` the paths that I need, but now I'm hitting an "undefined symbol" error down the load chain. Before I dive deeper in this direction, I wanted to ask if there is a better way, or if there is any chance that it will work at all. Thanks for the help! Massimiliano

Re: Use newer Netgen in Salome

Posted by gregor.simic at March 09. 2021

Hello Massimiliano.

I think you could use the newer netgen. But then you have to re-compile the NETGENPLUGIN SALOME module so that it is properly linked to the netgen 6.2. 

But to be honest I do not think that would work, major version changes usually involves API incompatibility, meaning that a simple switch in libraries will not work.

But I remember that from some posts that netgen 6.x will be in SALOME in future releases, maybe 9.7?

Best regards,

Gregor Simic

Posted by Raptorista at March 22. 2021
That's good news, thanks for pointing it out! At this point, I'll just wait for the next release. Massimiliano

Posted by gnicolas at April 28. 2021

Unfortunately, Netgen 6.x will not be the standard release of Netgen in Salome 9.7, except very good news very soon. Some tests didn't pass. We'll try to give a specific plug-in for further tests but all that is quite hard.

Posted by franco.ota at April 29. 2021

Hello Gérald,

if netgen will not be available, could you tell us if a newer version of Gmsh will be available in the next release? the feature I am most waiting in salome is multythreading meshing..... 

thanks

Previously Gérald NICOLAS wrote:

Unfortunately, Netgen 6.x will not be the standard release of Netgen in Salome 9.7, except very good news very soon. Some tests didn't pass. We'll try to give a specific plug-in for further tests but all that is quite hard.

Posted by bourcier at May 05. 2021

Hi,

The sources of Salome 9.7.0 will be compatible with netgen 5 and 6, but we'll ship netgen 5 as default, since there is still an issue with quadratic triangles on a sphere.

In Salome 9.8.0, we'll upgrade gmsh to be able to use the new "hxt" multithreaded tetrahedra algorithm.

Christophe

Posted by franco.ota at May 05. 2021

Thanks for the info christophe! best regards

franco

Previously Christophe Bourcier wrote:

Hi,

The sources of Salome 9.7.0 will be compatible with netgen 5 and 6, but we'll ship netgen 5 as default, since there is still an issue with quadratic triangles on a sphere.

In Salome 9.8.0, we'll upgrade gmsh to be able to use the new "hxt" multithreaded tetrahedra algorithm.

Christophe

Posted by franco.ota at July 07. 2021

hello christophe,

small update about the vrs of netgen in salome 9.7 now that is out, just to confirm it, we can not do multithreaded tetrahedra meshing in this version, no? 

thanks

franco

Previously Christophe Bourcier wrote:

Hi,

Christophe

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.