Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Other... (new forum, problems, etc.) SALOME 9.5.0 - Geom + Mesh -> 2+ GB file, reopen error bad:alloc

SALOME 9.5.0 - Geom + Mesh -> 2+ GB file, reopen error bad:alloc

Up to Other... (new forum, problems, etc.)

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.

SALOME 9.5.0 - Geom + Mesh -> 2+ GB file, reopen error bad:alloc

Posted by DetlevCM at October 23. 2020

Dear All,

as it stands, I am currently "fiddling" with SALOME Platform for a work related topic, trying to reproduce some literature CFD results at present.

SALOME Platform 9.5.0 - universal binaries on both Linux and Windows (unzip and run):

-> I create a geometry using the geometry module.

-> I create a mesh using the meshing module. (using netgen to be specific)

So far so good. I then save the file using the hdf format (and potentially export my mesh in unv if I wish to use it deirectly).

I discovered today that two of my files, each around 2.3GBlarge, do not permit me to re-open the mesh. I receive an error "std::bad_alloc" and loose any and all associated mesh data. This does NOT happen with smaller files. A 480MB file of the same geometry with a coarser mesh works without issues. This is also NOT a RAM issue as I encounter the error on Windows (less RAM) and on Linux (more RAM) where the mesh was originally created.

As it stands, I can recreate the mesh as it is a simple test case, but once we consider the real case, calculating the mesh will require more effort and time and always saving a mesh-free geometry with just  the configuration does not seem lie an enticing option, though may be a necessity...

The only clue I have is file size...

Any ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

Re: SALOME 9.5.0 - Geom + Mesh -> 2+ GB file, reopen error bad:alloc

Posted by sme at October 24. 2020

Hello!

Could you attach a Python dump file of your study to check the issue. Invoke menu File > Dump Study to produce the file.

Best regards

Edward

Posted by DetlevCM at October 24. 2020

Previously SMESH expert wrote:

Hello!

Could you attach a Python dump file of your study to check the issue. Invoke menu File > Dump Study to produce the file.

Best regards

Edward

Given that I am trying to reproduce some literature data with a basic geometry, I guess this should be fine. I removed my username in the file path, however it does not contain any special characters and I have the same result between Linux and Windows with very different file paths.

v001 -> open file, dump study -> empty file, thus not included

v002 -> open file, go to geometry module (no issues so far), dump study

v003 -> carry on to mesh module (mesh has disappeared and does not show...), dump study

v004 -> open file, go to mesh module directly, see error, OK it then dump study

On the plus side, I learned how I can extract the parametrisation should this ever happen in the future - good to know.

Attachments

Posted by DetlevCM at December 22. 2020

OK, I encountered this issue again and colleagues confirmed they have equally seen it in the past.

The solution is to enable the multi-file save in SALOME Platform from the settings.
This then saves a mesh as a dedicated .med file and it is possible to store for example very large CFD meshes and avoid the limitations related to a single hdf file.

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.