Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Extension of the platform Interface between Salome and Vorpalite program for polyhedral (Voronoi) meshing

Interface between Salome and Vorpalite program for polyhedral (Voronoi) meshing

Up to Extension of the platform

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.

Interface between Salome and Vorpalite program for polyhedral (Voronoi) meshing

Posted by MRousseau at July 23. 2020
Hi all! I would like to present you a Salome plugin I make that allow to create polyhedral mesh in the SMESH module. Given an input boundary mesh and the seeds location, the plugin create the corresponding Voronoi diagram using the Vorpalite program. The plugin is available at the following Github repository: https://github.com/MoiseRousseau/SALOME-Voronoi More information on the installation and the use of the plugin can be find in the README.md file. Feel free to give me feedback, comments, bug report and so on. Regards, Moise

Re: Interface between Salome and Vorpalite program for polyhedral (Voronoi) meshing

Posted by franco.ota at November 15. 2020

hello Moise,

GOD i have been looking on how to create polyhedral meshes for a long time (the only thing i founded for the moment was to create tetra meshes and using an application from OpenFOAM polyDualMesh to transform it to polyhedral.(https://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Polyhedral_mesh_generation))

I have some questions if I might (and please I excuse myself if I ask any dummy question, as I am a begininer of using salome and also a new user for linux!):

1. from what i read (and what i understand) the polyhedral generation is almost in the same logic as in polyDualMesh from OF it takes a 3D tetra mesh (generated with netgen 3D-2D-1D algorithm) and then it creates the polyhedrals from this mesh no?

2. is it possible to add boundary layers?

3. in the readme "....has many features (such as parallel tetrahedral meshing among other),..." I have looked like crazy to be able to parallel meshing with salome without luck. this is possible to do with the plugin? also we can create the polyhedral mesh in parallel? I need meshing in parallel as the meshing with netgen takes a lot of time (for the moment I am doing 2D meshing as the tet 3D mesh was not really interesting for me so I use another application from OpenFOAM for creating hexa meshes in parallel).

thanks a lot!

franco

Previously Moise Rousseau wrote:

Hi all! I would like to present you a Salome plugin I make that allow to create polyhedral mesh in the SMESH module. Given an input boundary mesh and the seeds location, the plugin create the corresponding Voronoi diagram using the Vorpalite program. The plugin is available at the following Github repository: https://github.com/MoiseRousseau/SALOME-Voronoi More information on the installation and the use of the plugin can be find in the README.md file. Feel free to give me feedback, comments, bug report and so on. Regards, Moise

Re: Interface between Salome and Vorpalite program for polyhedral (Voronoi) meshing

Posted by franco.ota at November 16. 2020

mm the forum does not allow me to edit m post, well... either way,

also from reading the readme, I would like to know if it would be possible to have your email to contact you so we could discus more, I would love to try this type of meshing, as it looks promising (at least) for the OpenFOAM community 

thanks again,

best regards

Previously Franco Otaola wrote:

hello Moise,

GOD i have been looking on how to create polyhedral meshes for a long time (the only thing i founded for the moment was to create tetra meshes and using an application from OpenFOAM polyDualMesh to transform it to polyhedral.(https://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Polyhedral_mesh_generation))

I have some questions if I might (and please I excuse myself if I ask any dummy question, as I am a begininer of using salome and also a new user for linux!):

1. from what i read (and what i understand) the polyhedral generation is almost in the same logic as in polyDualMesh from OF it takes a 3D tetra mesh (generated with netgen 3D-2D-1D algorithm) and then it creates the polyhedrals from this mesh no?

3. in the readme "....has many features (such as parallel tetrahedral meshing among other),..." I have looked like crazy to be able to parallel meshing with salome without luck. this is possible to do with the plugin? also we can create the polyhedral mesh in parallel? I need meshing in parallel as the meshing with netgen takes a lot of time (for the moment I am doing 2D meshing as the tet 3D mesh was not really interesting for me so I use another application from OpenFOAM for creating hexa meshes in parallel).

thanks a lot!

franco

Posted by MRousseau at November 17. 2020

Hi Franco.

Thanks for your interest in the plugin! I'm happy to had some feedback on it!

For your first question, yes and no. The plugin takes an input mesh (whatever it is made of tetrahedrons, pyramids, hexahedrons or even polyhedral) and compute the Voronoi diagram with the mesh node as seed. Thus "no" because it just take the node information and not the topology information. Now "yes" because the program Vorpalite will compute the Voronoi diagram by first make a Delaunay tetrahedralisation and taking its dual (which is one of available method to generate Voronoi diagram).

Second, the plugin does not create boundary layers by itself. However, you can create it by extruding or scaling the boundary of the polyhedral mesh to create this kind of layer. Also, you can create your boundary layer with the NETGEN algorithm and then compute the Voronoi diagram. Yet, the last approach could create bad boundary elements (I invite you to test and clip the mesh to see it).

Finally, parallel tetrahedral meshing is implemented in Vorpalite program (wihich use TetGen). You can for example use it with the plugin when do not provide the seeds of your polyhedral mesh. However, using the tetrahedral meshing capability of Vorpalite with the plugin is not yet implemented.

I would also say that using the plugin to create complex mesh with boundary layer, internal features and other requires some experience using the SMESH algorithm, as the polyhedral mesh is no more connected to GEOM or SHAPER object.

If you have other question, please let me know!

Moise

Previously Franco Otaola wrote:

hello Moise,

thanks a lot!

franco

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.