Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum How to use Salome? Hexahedral to tetrahedral mesh

Hexahedral to tetrahedral mesh

Up to How to use Salome?

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.

Hexahedral to tetrahedral mesh

Posted by MRobert at June 11. 2021
Hello,

I have a hexahedral mesh and I want to transform it in a tetrahedral mesh. I tried to edit the mesh directly but it doesn't work, I get the error: No mesh elements assigned to a sub-shape. Unfortunately I don't have anymore the geometry file so I exported the mesh as a .stl file (STL ASCII files) and imported this file into the geometry module and I applied Repair-> Union faces but I didn't get rid of all the small triangles as you can see in the attached photo. Is there another way to change an existent hexahedral mesh to tetrahedral mesh? Or what else can I do to get rid of the small triangles? I was thinking to break the geometry into faces and then fuse the faces. but it would be time consuming and I'm not sure if in the end I will be able to create the solid.

Regards,
Robert

Re: Hexahedral to tetrahedral mesh

I am sorry I cannot edit the previous post. I just saw that I posted into development instead of usage and that the attached photo destroyed the alignment.

Posted by smeap at June 11. 2021

Hi Robert

Import your mesh in Mesh module and apply Modification > Split Volume command to it.

St.Michael

Thank you very much for the fast answer! Unfortunately the mesh has about ~ 1 million hexahedral volumes and when I try to split them salome just close with no error. I think it's a memory problem as I tried to apply split volumes on a coarser mesh and it worked. Is there another way? 

Regards,

Robert

Posted by sme at June 11. 2021

Hello Robert

We recently found a memory error in the splitting operation, that you now most probably observe. The error fix will be available in V9.7.0 that will be released soon.

Best regards

Edward

Thank you Edward, good to know! Meanwhile I will try the first method to get the geometry from the mesh.

Regards,

Robert

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.