Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Problems running Salome for Windows

Problems running Salome for Windows

Up to Install & build

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.

Problems running Salome for Windows

Posted by leisure01 at November 30. 2013
I have downloaded and extracted SALOME-7.6.2- WIN64.  When I click on the file run_salome, I get the following error message:
"Windows cannot find 'python.exe'.  Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."  
I would welcome any assistance.

Re: Problems running Salome for Windows

Posted by leisure01 at December 01. 2013
I should have added to the previous post that the following messeage also appears at the same time in a box entitled "C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe":

Setting environment for SALOME.
'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Posted by vsr at December 02. 2013

Hello,

Try to install SALOME to the directory that does not contain spaces, e.g. C:\SALOME-7.2.0.

Regards,
Vadim.

Posted by leisure01 at December 03. 2013

Hi Vadim,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I followed your advice and installed SALOME into C:\SALOME-7.2.0, this eliminated the following error:

'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Unfortunately the following error message remains:

"Windows cannot find 'python.exe'.  Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

Regards,

Sean.

Posted by leisure01 at December 04. 2013

Hoping someone might be able to assist with this "Windows cannot find 'python.exe'" problem.

Posted by vsr at December 04. 2013

Hello Sean,

Probably an archive was not fully unpacked - there's known problem with Windows standard uncompress utility - it might fail on large archives.

First: you can check if python is indeed present in the installation directory - look into your C:\SALOME-7.2.0\PRODUCTS\python-2.7.3 directory - is it there?

Second: if it isn't present, try another unpack utility, for example 7-Zip which is known to work better on large archives.

Regards,
Vadim.

Posted by leisure01 at December 04. 2013

Hi Vadim,

Thank you, I will try your suggestion when I get home.  If I cannot get 7-zip to work , ( I think used 7-zip for the extraction but am not sure), is an alternative to install python directly into the directory you have mentioned?

Regards,

Sean.

Posted by vsr at December 04. 2013

Unfortunately, no.

SALOME requires Python of specific version; as Python is one of the main pre-requisites for SALOME, using of another version of Python (or even the same but installed by other means) might be fatal. You can surely try and tell if it's working :)

Posted by leisure01 at December 05. 2013
Hi Vadim,

Problem solved!  As per your advice when I used 7-zip for the extraction it worked perfectly.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Sean.

Posted by mukut at April 26. 2015

Hello,

Today I have downloaded salome for windows. I have unzip the file SALOME-7.2.0-WIN64-DEV-DEBUG to C:\salome

then I have navigate to c:\salome\work from command prompt

and run the replace.bat

but it showed error as attached.

when I ran run_salome.bat

this one also showed error.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

What to do?

br 

mukut

Attachments

Posted by mukut at April 26. 2015

I have found python 2.6.6 and python 2.7.3 in C:\Salome\PRODUCTSD also.

Posted by anastasya241 at April 27. 2015

Hello, mukut!

What platform is used? What version of Visual Studio do you have on your computer?

'The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect' message says that there is problem with the CRT (C Run-Time Libraries)

CRT in Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition end in Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)(ex. from PRODUCTSD\redist folder)  is built in release mode. So application works in release mode (binaries)

SALOME-7.2.0 have been build with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008.  Binaries and libraries of SALOME-7.2.0 depend of Visual Studio 2008 CRT(Run-Time ). If you're trying to run the application on your PC, then  then you should have the Run-Time installed.

For RELEASE Run-Time can be provided as a part of Visual Studio or as a part of Redistributable Package. But DEBUG Run-Time is provided only as a part of Visual Studio.

SALOME-7.2.0-WIN32 and  SALOME-7.2.0-WIN64 archives include binaries of the pre-requisites and SALOME modules built in RELEASE mode.  The minimum requirement is installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86 or x64). You can find it in the PRODUCTS\redist directory.

If you don't need to compile SALOME or third-party code, use this packages of SALOME.  As I can see, all necessary CTR Libraries are  already installed on your PC.

SALOME-7.2.0-WIN32-DEV-RELEASE,  SALOME-7.2.0-WIN32-DEV-DEBUG,  SALOME-7.2.0-WIN64-DEV-RELEASE, SALOME-7.2.0-WIN64-DEV-DEBUG archives include binaries of the pre-requisites and SALOME modules plus all files (headers, IDL files, adm files etc) required for the compilation of the third-party code. 

If you need to COMPILE some third-party code, use this packages of SALOME.  Building ONLY in 32-bit mode requires installation of Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition. The minimum requirement of building in 64-bit  mode is installing the Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition (x64).

So, if you want use SALOME-7.2.0-WIN64-DEV-DEBUG archive, then you must install Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition (x64).

P.S.  You should ещ кun C:\salome\WORK\prepare.bat (not replace.bat !!!!!!!)  to replace some hard-coded paths.

Regards,
Anastasiya.

Posted by mukut at May 04. 2015

Hello anastasya!

Greetings. My OS is windows 8.1 (64bit)

I need to create geometry and then meshing with SALOME. Then I wanna export this mesh file to other simulation software, may be openFOAM or ANSYS. In this purpose, which package of SALOME should I use? I don't have visual studio 2008 professional version installed in my PC.

Inside the productSD folder there is a exe file: vcredist_x64.exe

|P.S.  You should ещ кun C:\salome\WORK\prepare.bat (not replace.bat

!!!!!!!)  to replace some hard-coded paths.|

I have tried to run the prepare.bat file but following error appeared.

c:\Salome\WORK>prepare.bat
The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is in
correct. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

c:\Salome\WORK>

What should I do?

br

mukut

Posted by anastasya241 at May 04. 2015

Hello, mukut!

For your purpose use SALOME-7.2.0-WIN32 and  SALOME-7.2.0-WIN64 or latest versions.

Regards,
Anastasiya.

Posted by mukut at May 08. 2015

Hello Anastsya!

Packages for Windows:

These archives provide only minimal content required to run SALOME (no development files). They are intended for the users who don't need to compile SALOME or third-party code, but only want to run SALOME application. The archives include binaries of the pre-requisites and SALOME modules built in RELEASE mode.

These archives provide "development environment" of SALOME. They include binaries (built in RELEASE and DEBUG modes separately) of the pre-requisites and SALOME modules plus all files (headers, IDL files, adm files etc) required for the compilation of the third-party code (e.g. SALOME-based modules).

I have downloaded: development environment archive, DEBUG mode for 64bit Windows (1,4 GB, md5sum) version.

Did you talk about this: Download a development environment archive, RELEASE mode for 64bit Windows (965 MB, md5sum)??????

regards

mukut

Posted by giannitu at June 22. 2015

Hi,

I'm new of Salome and compilino etc etc.

I'd like to install and use salome, but i aspected to download and install the software and then find some icones to run the salome...

Shall I compile it first? I've read about the command run_salome, is it a prompt? In the images I see a Windows enviroment, how can I arrive there? 

Thanks

Posted by anastasya241 at June 22. 2015

Hello, Gianni!

There is no need to compile the Salome.

For your purpose use SALOME-7.X.X-WIN32(e.c SALOME-7.5.1-WIN32.) archive.

- Unpack the archive with SALOME distribution to some directory on your  computer.
- Execute by double click run_salome.bat command(see attached screenshot) to launch SALOME session.

- If SALOME is not launched, you probably have no Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Redistributable Pack installed.
   The simplest way to fix this problem is to execute PRODUCTS\redist\vcredist_x86.exe that will guide you through the  installation procedure. After that try again to execute by double click run_salome.bat.

Regards,
Anastasiya.

Attachments

Posted by giannitu at June 22. 2015

Hi Anastasya,

You are very Kind!!!

I've seen that in my pc is installed visual studio 2012 and 2013, not 2010.

I'll try tonight (at home) to fix the problem as you described me (I've 64 bit Win7 OS)

When I double click run_salome it will launch the windows GUI of SAlome? 

Regards, Gianni

Posted by giannitu at June 23. 2015

NOW WORKS!!!!!!

It's time to try Open Foam or Saturne....

Any suggestion??

Thanks

Previously Gianni Turi wrote:

Hi Anastasya,

You are very Kind!!!

I've seen that in my pc is installed visual studio 2012 and 2013, not 2010.

I'll try tonight (at home) to fix the problem as you described me (I've 64 bit Win7 OS)

When I double click run_salome it will launch the windows GUI of SAlome? 

Regards, Gianni

Posted by vabolbot at November 24. 2015

Hi,

I am trying to install Salome 7.6.4 on Windows 10 (64bit).

I had already installed Visual Studio C++ 2010 and I used 7zip to extract the files. 

Unfortunately, the program didn't launch. The error message is attached. 

Any hint how to solve the problem? 

Attachments

Posted by anastasya241 at November 24. 2015

Hello,

Try to use the following advice http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_10/71316125#517503543

BR, Anastasiya

Posted by vabolbot at November 26. 2015

Thank you Anastasia! It worked!

Previously anastasya wrote:

Hello,

Try to use the following advice http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_10/71316125#517503543

BR, Anastasiya

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.