Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Extension of the platform Salome Windows

Salome Windows

Up to Extension of the platform

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.

Re: Salome Windows

Posted by Dmitry at March 13. 2007
You may build Salome  with mingw gcc  easer than with Visual Studio. I don't have any problems with porting, when I use mingw-gcc.

Posted by andrico1 at March 13. 2007

Dear Dmitriy,

Have you successfully build Salome using Mingw?  I was thinking to try to do this using Cygwin, but not all the modules are available in their source code, available for Cygwin or Linux. See for instance the previous quote from Peter Dolbey, who was saying that OCC 6.1 does not have a supported cygwin (and, as I understand Mingw) build.

Can you comment on this? Would you be so kind to share some details of this compilation and whether you had to do some tricks, or it was all streightforward?

Best regards,

Andriy 

Posted by Mariotte at March 27. 2007

Hello.

I'd like to run Salome under Windows. Is there anybody who did it and might share the compiled version?

(I'm not ackowledged about compiling and programming...)

Thanks.

Mario

Posted by Mariotte at March 27. 2007

Hello.

I'd like to run Salome under Windows. Is there anybody who did it and might share the compiled version?

(I'm not ackowledged about compiling and programming...)

Thanks.

Mario

Posted by login at July 21. 2007
Hi

I want use salome with windows so,

Can salome be used on windows ? (y OR n)

withoud emulation tools(VMWARE or Colinux).

Does the source code of mesh ans data  modules dependent from linux or it can be compiledend used on windows

thanks

Posted by varun210184 at August 08. 2007
which libraries are using in salome?

Posted by varun210184 at August 13. 2007
Dmitry Firsov wrote:
You may build Salome  with mingw gcc  easer than with Visual Studio. I don't have any problems with porting, when I use mingw-gcc.
could you tell me how to run this source code on windows?

Posted by Mariotte at August 21. 2007
varun gupta wrote:
Dmitry Firsov wrote:

could you tell me how to run this source code on windows?

So many of us would really appreciate a windows port... anybody did it???
I'm trying with mingw, gcc, cygwin... but as a windows user, I can't understand how to use all their commands.
None linux users to help us to make this port?
PLEASE! ;)

Posted by pdolbey at August 21. 2007
a andreykiv wrote:

Dear Dmitriy,

Have you successfully build Salome using Mingw?  I was thinking to try to do this using Cygwin, but not all the modules are available in their source code, available for Cygwin or Linux. See for instance the previous quote from Peter Dolbey, who was saying that OCC 6.1 does not have a supported cygwin (and, as I understand Mingw) build.

Can you comment on this? Would you be so kind to share some details of this compilation and whether you had to do some tricks, or it was all streightforward?

Best regards,

Andriy 

For anyone who wants to take up the task of a Windows port, I have discovered that the GMSH developers have developed a Cygwin / MinGW port of OpenCascade 6.2. You'll find it here, but I've not used it myself.

http://geuz.org/gmsh/beta/occ/

Good luck.

pete

Posted by varun210184 at August 22. 2007
hi this varun,anyone can tell me when i compile the salome it showing the error

in the file included from /tmp/installwork20375/tk8.3.3/generic/tkint.h:21,from/tmp/installwork20375/tk8.3.3/generic/tk3.h:18,

Posted by varun210184 at August 24. 2007
varun gupta wrote:
hi this is varun,anyone can tell me when i compile the salome it showing the error

in the file included from /tmp/installwork20375/tk8.3.3/generic/tkint.h:21,from/tmp/installwork20375/tk8.3.3/generic/tk3.h:18,

Posted by varun210184 at September 10. 2007
Dmitry Firsov wrote:

can u tell me how can i run salome on windows?

Posted by varun210184 at September 20. 2007
varun gupta wrote:
hello can we run salome on windows

Posted by Mariotte at January 09. 2008
varun gupta wrote:
varun gupta wrote:
hello can we run salome on windows

Hello,
the new year has come and I still try to run Salome under Windows.
A new proposal: what about trying to run it in an AndLinux window?
It runs by Colinux, which seems to be faster than any virtualized box.
An alternative could be a Damn Small Linux embedded environment (QEMU based?) or KEOW.
Please, let me know if anyone succeeds...
Mario

Posted by Florante at February 18. 2008
ASSIRE Aimery wrote:
Hi Arnold,

I succesfully built Salome under coLinux a few weeks ago, and I ran some tests. I had also tested the Vmware version of Salome (CEA), and another one from my own (based on a Knoppix live-DVD that I build).

First, I think that speed of coLinux and Vmware solutions are equivalent.

For  coLinux, you need a Windows native X11 server : Hummingbird Exceed 3D, WRQ Reflection X, X-win 32... (commercial), Cygwin/X, Xming, ... (GPL). It must use the native OpenGL acceleration. On my AMD64 computer, glxgears test is 2300 fps (Wion32 native), and from coLinux best X11 servers are Relection X(1600-1900) and Xming (1400-1600). For Salome utilization, the result seems to be correct, but I haven't the time to do lots of tests...

This is the good news.
The bad news is that I used an internal EDF version of Salome (v2.2.5 and v3.1beta) that I can't distribuate outside EDF.

I tryed Salome 2.2.8, downloadable on this web site, but I don't success to build these version under Debian Sarge (that is inside the coLinux) : many source compilation errors, and Mandrake/binary doesn't work...

Another problem : the size of the coSalome (coLinux + Salome) package : I think it can exceed 1 Go, and I have no (free...) host solution...

I will retry the building of a 2.2.8 verson in a few days. If you are interrested, you can help me :) Let me know.

For Code_Aster and Salome, don't forget that the Aster-Salome module is planned for the end of 2006. Today, you can only exchange meshes and results with somes MED files.

Aimery ASSIRE

Aimery,

In the latest andLinux (coLinux+Xming), Salome-Meca runs out of the box, but it is not showing the graphics area.  Could you please outline on how did you able to run your version of salome in coLinux?Did you use Xming as the XServer? or you use the comercial one?

I would appreciate if you share to me your experience on running Salome on coLinux.

Thank you very much.

Posted by Florante at February 20. 2008
ok!

After quite sometimes on finding how to run Salome on windows, the closest I get is to run on andLinux. I have successfully run Salome-Meca-2007(from www.caelinux.com) , Salome+Aster-code.
There is no magic in there. The version Salome-Meca-2007 seems to run out of the box in the current andLinux version(rc6).  The catch is the graphics area is not showing correctly, this is because of the version of Xming used in andLinux.  What I did is  , I downloaded Xming with Mesa from the xming site and replace the xming version that comes with andLinux. I install the Xming and copy the extracted files over the one that comes with andLinux. Run the postinstall.py from the postintall directory where Salome-Meca-2007 is installed. And everything seems to be working well. Speed is very much usable (P4-1Gig built in 64Mb video). Please try and put feed back here .

Thank you.

Posted by Mariotte at April 23. 2008
Florante Kho wrote:
ok!

After quite sometimes on finding how to run Salome on windows, the closest I get is to run on andLinux. I have successfully run Salome-Meca-2007(from www.caelinux.com) , Salome+Aster-code.
There is no magic in there. The version Salome-Meca-2007 seems to run out of the box in the current andLinux version(rc6).  The catch is the graphics area is not showing correctly, this is because of the version of Xming used in andLinux.  What I did is  , I downloaded Xming with Mesa from the xming site and replace the xming version that comes with andLinux. I install the Xming and copy the extracted files over the one that comes with andLinux. Run the postinstall.py from the postintall directory where Salome-Meca-2007 is installed. And everything seems to be working well. Speed is very much usable (P4-1Gig built in 64Mb video). Please try and put feed back here .

Thank you.

Sounds great!
Will you share your environment in any form? Torrent or whatever else like emule?
Would be so easy for the ones that -like me- are not comfortable with all these linux and linux kernel ports on win.
By now, thanks for the hints!
Mario

Posted by Mariotte at April 29. 2008
Florante Kho wrote:
ok!

Thank you.

Hi,
I've tried to do as you suggested. (with andLinux XFCE)
Both with Salome-Meca 2007 and 2008 I get this error when I launch ./runSalomeMeca:

[root@andLinux SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL]# ./runSalomeMeca
CHECK /root
Searching for free port for the SALOME Naming Service: 2810 - Ok
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/SALOME/SALOME3/V3_2_9NoDebug/KERNEL_V3_2_9NoDebug/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 22, in
    import sys, os, string, glob, time, pickle
ImportError: No module named os

any suggestion/explanation?

thanks
Mario

Posted by Florante at September 12. 2008
mario wrote:
Florante Kho wrote:
ok!

Thank you.

Hi,
I've tried to do as you suggested. (with andLinux XFCE)
Both with Salome-Meca 2007 and 2008 I get this error when I launch ./runSalomeMeca:

[root@andLinux SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL]# ./runSalomeMeca
CHECK /root
Searching for free port for the SALOME Naming Service: 2810 - Ok
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/SALOME/SALOME3/V3_2_9NoDebug/KERNEL_V3_2_9NoDebug/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 22, in
    import sys, os, string, glob, time, pickle
ImportError: No module named os

any suggestion/explanation?

thanks
Mario

Hi Mario,

I am not sure about the error you get. did you replace the Xming version that comes with andLinux with the one in Xming site that says Xming with Mesa ?

it runs out of the box in my PC. See my avatar on the left.

Posted by Mariotte at September 23. 2008
Florante Kho wrote:
tr>
> <
Hi Mario,

I am not sure about the error you get. did you replace the Xming version that comes with andLinux with the one in Xming site that says Xming with Mesa ?

it runs out of the box in my PC. See my avatar on the left.

Hi,
yes, I've replaced it as you suggested.
I don't know how to manage with this problem.
No news about a direct porting of the platform?
Sorry for the late answer, thanks anyway for your help.

Mario

Posted by devast at June 05. 2009
any luck salome will be ported to windows?

Posted by Mariotte at July 30. 2009
Hello everybody,
anbody tried to build this new version 5.1.1?
The release notes say:
"The source files for KERNEL and GUI modules have been corrected to allow compilation of the
KERNEL module with cmake tool. Additionally, a set of scripts enabling multi-platform compilation of
GUI module with the cmake tool has been integrated. These scripts generate cmake projects by
conversion of the existing Makefile.am files. Cmake tool can be run to build SALOME GUI module
on Linux and Windows platforms".

I wonder: why not to distribute a simple executable setup for non-programmers?
I think this is a great software, but it's so long we wait to use it on windows machines...

Mario

Posted by eam at July 30. 2009
Hello Mario and all salome users,

Indeed, you are right ... on 5.1.1, you can compile KERNEL and GUI
with cmake on linux and windows. But, it is not the case for the others
modules ! Thus, salome runs on windows but without GEOM, SMESH,
MED, VISU and YACS which is not very useful !

Once again ... be patient (for the last time, I hope !), Salome 5.1.2
version will be published soon and a windows version with all modules
will be available a short time after. This windows version will be given
for tests since it is not extensively tested (only basic tests are run) !

Regards,

E.A.

Posted by Mariotte at July 30. 2009
><font>

Thanks for reply and (hopefully) good news.
Please, consider me for help in test tasks on win32 platform.
If you make an announcement and plan tests, I think that many people in the community will be very happy to contribute.

Mario

Posted by eam at August 03. 2009
This discussion began on July the 4th 2005 ... and, four years later,
yes, you can try a version of salome on windows ! See the thread

http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/?thread=2896&forumid=14&groupid=12

for more informations.

Regards,

E.A.

Posted by Mariotte at August 03. 2009
Thanks, I'm posting your link anywhere I found it was useful.

Mario

This forum is DEPRECATED, please create new topics in the new SALOME forum.
For existing topics please transfer them to the new forum.